Thursday, April 10, 2014

Twenty-ONE!

 When your second child turns 21, contemplating and CELEBRATING become the orders of the day. Unfortunately, distance and schedules kept the whole group of us apart.
There was NO WAY, however, that I was going to let April 9th go by without sharing some birthday love IN PERSON with this dashing ADULT (!gasp!).
His sisters and I were laughing about the fact that he is the only member of the family to be born in Fitchburg. How did that happen?  It's a badge of (?something?)... well, it's unique.  Like him.
And honestly, you can roll your eyes if you haven't already, but I swear it was just last month that I was wondering (after 12 hours of hard back labor) if he would EVER make his appearance?  
 We met on campus for lunch.
It was so nice to just sit and chat and catch up.
I miss him!
I look at the bins of legos he's willed by default to his younger brother, and wonder why he's not still nine or ten, playing in the room at the top of the stairs and raking his fingers through the small plastic pieces, finding just the right parts to some amazing creation under construction.
Of course there were birthday cupcakes in the car.
 And some gifts that he was so graciously thankful for.
(Even the vitamins Mimi!)
The rest of us lit up a cupcake in his honor after dinner on the homefront.
Happy Birthday Enrique!
We love you so...

2 comments:

Jo Jo said...

Okay, can't get over the 21. Maybe if mine was here it wouldn't seem so weird.

shirlgirl said...

I remember when you were in the hospital with Mr. Morning. I had asked the boys to clean their rooms for you. Yonder did an awesome job on his side of the room and was very proud of his accomplishments. Enrique asked me to hold his Lego helicopter so he could tape it to the shelf of his book case. He was surrounded by his Legos--more important than cleaning his side of the room. I wonder if he remembers that.