Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wandering on Wednesday

I partnered up with this handsome guy for a fun and educational outing to the National Heritage Museum in Lexington.
It was his Spring break after all. Actually, unlike many of his peers who were bombarding the social media networks with images of beaches and fun in the sun, Enrique spent it writing a paper and heading back to work (on campus) before the week was half over. Reality can be cruel.(He also took advantage of mom's laundry service, a few extra hours of sleep and some home cooked meals) It was good to squeeze in a tiny bit of extra curricular activity.
The Scottish Rite Free Masons own/run this free museum (suggested donation) that is filled mainly with artifacts having to do with customs, costumes, artifacts and relics related to the Masonic organization.
 We both learned quite a bit. The Masons are a fraternal service organization. We are most familiar with the Shriners, who are a part of the Masons. They run the free hospitals for children. They also organize a stunning parade. For many years we took the kids to their annual parade at Dartmouth in August. They know how to parade like nobody's business.
 I was intrigued with how a Mason earns various degrees in the fraternity... this galloping goat came up a couple of times in their display cases, and I couldn't help but laugh a bit as I read some of the descriptions.(I hope that's the response they were going for.)
I have a few ancestors who were Masons.
The Masons have an extensive library at this museum as well. After my first visit here, my sister and my mother were able to solve a family history mystery because of the Masonic records. More on that in a future post. 
We capped off our morning with a visit to my new favorite middle eastern cafe.
I was delighted that Enrique also found it to be definitely worth the trip.

1 comment:

Inkinsurgent said...

Thaanks for sharing this